Digital Product Designer (multiple levels)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Posted: 09 September 2021Working arrangements: Mostly remote Contract: Full time, permanent Salary: Competitive, depending on experience Team: Digital, reporting into the Head of Digital Product Closing date: Sep 29, 2021
Twig Education creates incredible, inclusive Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) learning experiences full of aha! moments that students remember forever. We couldn’t do this without creative and passionate people who challenge and inspire each other.
That’s where you come in! Working for Twig means getting the chance to use your talents to the fullest, doing work that makes the world a better place in an environment where your contributions get noticed.
Twig launched in 2011. Our resources, created in collaboration with Imperial College London and Stanford University, are now used by millions of teachers and students in over 60 countries and with over 20 different languages. This success didn’t happen by accident. We hire talented individuals, give them the chance to shine, and recognise the impact they make on Twig and on the lives of students across the globe. We’re here to change the world of STEM education. Want to join us?
This is an exciting time to be joining Twig. Our design team urgently needs innovative and motivated Digital Product Designers who are keen to help deliver best in class science education to children around the world.
Working in partnership with the Product and Delivery functions, you will support the Head of Digital Design to drive the organisation’s vision to build products that are not only fit for purpose and market-ready, but help Twig become the market leader in K-12 Science Education.
You will be an experienced product designer who is ready for a new challenge. Our product designers need to be able to work independently, driving collaborative behaviours and design thinking across delivery teams.
You will be an effective communicator, working collaboratively across the business and senior stakeholders to convey and drive the product vision.
- It is expected you’ll have meaningful experience in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), human-centred design, Experience Design or digital product design.
- A minimum of 3+ years of experience (for mid level designers) and 5+ years experience (for senior level or above) within a fast-paced service or experience design agency or practice with a good portfolio to back it up.
- Background in design theory, visual design, industrial design, information architecture, user experience or other design profession preferred.
- Knowledge and previous experience in digital product design and creating products from research/discovery through to delivery (design production assets) a definite plus.
- You will have been heavily involved in the development of of a large scale consumer digital product
- A strong team player comfortable working in a cross-functional, multidisciplinary environment.
- Experience working in agile and/or lean, including an awareness of agile tools and how to use them.
- Experience across multiple platforms, mobile native (across IOS and Android) and responsive design (mobile, tablet, web).
- Experience and knowledge of designing for accessibility standards.
- Ability to produce strong user interface experiences that are clear and enjoyable to use.
- Ability to create both conceptual and detailed annotated wireframes for production.
- Ability to define and create information architecture outputs (e.g. taxonomies, sitemaps, annotated user flows).
- Practitioner level knowledge of Sketch, Adobe CC (InDesign/Illustrator and ideally some AfterEffects), Marvel and communicating well in Slack.
- Working knowledge of using Design Systems and advanced prototyping tools such as Principle preferred.
- Must be UK based with the right to live and work in the UK
Responsibilities (Senior candidates)
- Establish, promote and run design processes as per project needs
- You will run internal design workshops, internal and external focus tests and communicate the design vision to a wider audience.
- Establish a clear set of design and usability patterns and champion their consistent use across products
- Build upon and champion the use of design principles
- Mature the design system library and champion its use
- Champion design thinking methods across the product and wider organisation.
Responsibilities (All candidates)
- Work with the design system to quickly create platform feature set design
- Be able to use judgement and pragmatism to balance the needs of the customer, the business, and the aspirations of the internal teams
- Understanding of analytics and gaining insights from user behaviour observation tools
- You will have at least a basic level of a technical understanding of digital products
- You will be familiar with a range of design support tools and platforms
Set Yourself Apart With:
- Ability to demonstrate skills across any of the following: multitouch and data driven design, data visualization and/or systems thinking.
- Prior experience in creating products for children
- Prior experience in education.
- A well-crafted portfolio.
- Ability to demonstrate a particular strength in visual design.
What’s in it for you?
Your job will offer diversity and fulfilment as well as professional and personal development. Twig has an open, fair, relaxed and flexible culture where hard work is recognised and rewarded. Benefits of working at Twig include:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Health Shield cashback plan
- Generous holiday allowance including birthday off
- One day a month for self-improvement/self training
Mostly remote working with occasional travel to Glasgow and the US.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Twig is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Think you might fit this role?
To apply, please complete the Online Application Form, attaching a CV and covering letter and examples of your work, demonstrating the extent to which your skills, abilities and experience meet the requirements of this role. Applications close at midnight on the 29th of September.
A Tip from the Hiring Manager:
“Take the time to produce a compelling portfolio showing your methodology and wider abilities than just production design. Show personal projects you are really proud of to supplement any gaps in experience or to show your real passion. Most of all, just be yourself.”
Career Level: Junior to Senior Digital Product Designer