Editorial Director (Special Projects)
Posted: 4th November, 2020
Glasgow or London, United Kingdom
At Twig Education we’re passionate about STEM education and we’re passionate about digital.
Our reputation is based on designing and producing easy-to-use teacher and student tools that engage students. These high-quality, hands-on materials, assessments, multimedia and digital are inspiring learners and teachers around the world. Our programs allow for flexible implementation models for in-person and/or virtual delivery of lessons.
Working closely with our collaborative “think tank” which includes Imperial College of London, Stanford SCALE and classroom specialists, we deliver award-winning, groundbreaking K-12 Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics education programs.
We are a dynamic company with a performance-enhancing culture with a mission to provide access to high-quality education, inclusion and equity for all students.
Building on the success of our revolutionary K-8 Twig Science program, Twig Education is now developing a new product line that puts digital storytelling at its heart. To ensure the success of this ambitious project, we are seeking an Editorial Director who understands the potential of video as an education tool. This is a key senior role for an ambitious and creative individual who shares Twig’s commitment to creating “aha” moments for teachers and learners alike, inspiring understanding and making learning magical.
The role will require strong leadership and strategic thinking skills along with the ability to communicate and collaborate with a large team to deliver this flagship project for the business. The person we need will be an innovative individual who will bring leadership, experience and vision to Twig’s Content team.
To achieve the above the Editorial Director will need to:
- Supervise, train, and oversee internal and external editorial teams developing content ensuring their grasp of the curriculum with a focus on maintaining quality, standards alignment and coherence across all grade levels and product components.
- Conceptualize and plan key source documents, including: definitions, guidelines, lesson templates, style guides etc.
- Solicit feedback from the Account Manager as well as other stakeholders and potential customers to improve the product as it moves through stages of development and implementation.
- Work closely with the Product Manager to ensure work is completed according to schedule and budget.
- Complete reviews of editorial work for coherence in content, pedagogy, and style.
- Stay abreast of market trends and competitive products as well as best instructional practices related to education.
- Support other teams within the company in the development of collateral for sales, professional development, marketing, correlations, and other documentation as needed.
- Oversee analysis of state and national standards for the purpose of conducting and/or review alignments and correlations.
The Editorial Director must also:
- Be a compelling leader who will build trusted relationships with colleagues from wide-ranging disciplines
- Coach a talented, diverse team to deliver at a high standard
- Be focused on achieving outcomes related to producing a best-in-class product that complements Twig’s existing product suite
- Exhibit judgement and expertise about how to design a winning product
- Be passionate about the visual medium and storytelling and believe that all students are storytellers at heart.
- Educated to degree level, preferably with an qualification in education
- At least 5 years of instructional content development experience (editorial) for primary and secondary
- At least 3 years experience managing an editorial curriculum team
- Experience of developing educational content in digital formats
- An understanding of how video creation can provide active learning experiences
- Experience in teaching primary and/or lower secondary highly desirable
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to constructively work with members across the team, including editors, designers, programmers, and managers
- Comfortable using a wide variety of software, including Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and Smartsheets
Think you might be right for this role? We'd love to hear from you!
To apply, please complete the Online Application Form, attaching a CV along with a covering letter demonstrating the extent to which your skills, abilities and experience meet the requirements of this role.
Closing date: 20th November 2020