Head of Editorial - Middle School
Posted: 13th February 2020
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Twig Science Next Gen is a revolutionary, phenomena-based STEAM program that delivers the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) now adopted by over 18 US states.
Our K-5 program went live in California this year and is a market leader. Key to the program’s success is its unique storytelling approach where students take on STEM roles to figure out how our world works and solve engineering challenges.
Now we are developing Grades 6-8 (Middle School) and are looking for a Head of Editorial to lead the editorial/ design team, collaborating closely with the Production and Digital teams to create a middle school NGSS program that will blow the socks off disengaged teenagers.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who is up for a challenge, can spin a lot of plates, is great at problem solving and can motivate and support a large team. Creating memorable, effective and disruptive education materials is not easy, but the satisfaction of delivering something that will make a difference is immense.
This is a key senior editorial role, which will require strong leadership and strategic thinking skills along with the ability to communicate and collaborate with a large team to deliver a key project for the business.
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable experience/proven track record in education publishing at a senior level, which includes evaluating and developing the content
- Experience of delivering complex print and digital publishing projects both hands on and as a manager
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail with ability to identify and correct problems
- Ability to lead and support a large number of people
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions in high pressure situations
- Ability to analyse issues and flag risks
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet demanding deadlines.
- Supporting a team of Development Editors and other key staff as they develop content with Curriculum Developers
- Reviewing and providing feedback for lessons at first draft stage
- Providing regular reports to the Project Manager detailing the status of production, from development edit stage through to print checks
- Providing editorial support throughout the copy editing and proofing stages, and suggesting editorial changes to the content wherever necessary
- Ensuring that updates to the product description are actioned across all content
- Ensuring that guideline, process and workflow documents are up to date
- Implementing feedback from senior management and key stakeholders
- Signing off content for print
- Liaising with key stakeholders across the business including senior management
- Line management responsibilities
- Other duties as required.
What is it like to work at Twig?
As a company, we strive to maintain an open, fair, relaxed and flexible culture where hard work is recognised and rewarded. Plus our Glasgow office is dog-friendly!
Some other benefits of working at Twig include:
- Salaries are in line with market rates and commensurate with skills and experience
- Free refreshments including breakfast, hot drinks and snacks
- We offer flexibility around working arrangements
- Cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, pension contributions and other benefits
Think you might be right for this role? We'd love to hear from you!
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Contract: Maternity cover, 12 months
Closing date: 28 February 2020
To apply for this role, please complete the Online Application Form, attaching a CV along with a covering letter demonstrating the extent to which your skills, abilities and experience meet the requirements of this role.