Posted: 20th January, 2020
Glasgow, United Kingdom
At Twig Education we’re passionate about science education. We care about what we do and how we do it. We aim to bring a sprinkle of magic into the classroom.
Since launching in 2011, our resources are now used by hundreds of thousands of teachers, in over 60 countries and in 19 different languages. Our award-winning videos, digital resources and lesson materials are created in our head offices in Glasgow, near Kelvingrove Park, by a team of around 80 educators, filmmakers, designers, developers, writers, academics and parents.
We pride ourselves on the quality of our films and currently seeking an experienced Producer with excellent writing skills to work on a new science project for teenagers in the United States.
The role will include working across the Education and Film departments to devise briefs that can be developed into stunning short films. Practically this means collaborating with Education Development Editors to turn scientific ideas and concepts into imaginative film briefs. You will need to think creatively, support ideas while managing expectations and write captivating short-form factual scripts to deadlines.
Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate must have extensive experience in factual and/or science TV production, and an excellent understanding of archive-based short-form film. You will have significant experience in using GFX and animation to deepen an audience’s understanding of complex concepts. The ability to think visually and translate ideas into films is essential, as is an awareness of what is realistic and achievable within the budget and timeframe. Excellent organisational skills are a must. Please note this is not an entry level role we need someone who can hit the ground running.
- Write short form factual scripts to a brief, for a teenage audience
- Liaise with our Science and Creative Editors to fully understand what our films need to deliver
- Iterate and produce film briefs with Development Editors, balancing scope and ambition
- Ensure writing schedules are met- navigate challenges, foresee obstructions and communicate potential issues with the Executive Producer and/or Project Manager
- Collaborate with internal and external researchers, and editorial leads
- Manage high volumes of scripts at various stages
- Support fellow Producers to ensure a constant flow of scripts are being developed, written and made available to edit into exceptional short form films
What is it like to work at Twig?
As a company, we strive to maintain an open, fair, relaxed and flexible culture where hard work is recognised and rewarded. Plus our Glasgow office is dog-friendly!
Some other benefits of working at Twig include:
- Salaries are in line with market rates and commensurate with skills and experience
- Free refreshments including breakfast, hot drinks and snacks
- We offer flexibility around working arrangements
- Cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, and other benefits
Think you might be right for this role? We'd love to hear from you!
To apply for this role, please complete the Online Application Form, attaching a CV, two examples of short form/ excerpts of recent factual scripts you have written, along with a covering letter demonstrating the extent to which your skills, abilities and experience meet the requirements of this role.
This is a full-time position, with an immediate/February start date, initially on a 10-month contract with the possibility of extension.
Salary: circa £35k depending on experience.
Applications close on Friday 7th of February 2020 at 12pm
Please note: We would like the successful applicant to start immediately.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted and interviews may be conducted ahead of the application deadline.